Micah 6:8

"He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does YHVH require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God."

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Sin's Tattoo

I saw it today as I was getting dressed.
It wasn't large, but it was there. Sin's tattoo.
How do I know what it was?
I know because I inevitably put it there. By choice you ask?
Upon reflection, YES! At the time was I aware of what I was doing?
To some extent, but not completely. This tattoo is as permanent as one I would receive if I used ink and a needle. It will forever be a reminder to me of sinful choices I made while living in rebellion. Am I glad to have it on my body?
Absolutely not. Would I like it removed?
Of course. Yet, I am glad to see it. I am glad because of what it now represents. For if I was still living in sin it would not be as visible as it is now.
Perhaps you would like to know what this tattoo looks like. It is a very familiar thing. Lots of people have this tattoo and for very many different reasons. Some reasons for it are not related to sin, mine however is. My tattoo is from overeating and lack of exercise.
You probably know this tattoo by another name - stretch mark. Yes, my tattoo is a stretch mark. Not one but many. The beauty of it is that I can now see physically the changes that have been taking place in my heart. For if I had not submitted my will and diet to God, then this mark, this tattoo would still be hidden just under the surface of my skin. Now, because of obedience it is growing, and visible. It may sound backwards to some but the fact that it is becoming larger is a reflection of how much closer I am becoming to God. As more and more of these tattoos come to the surface and become visible it will be a physical reminder to me of where I once was and how far I have come.
So today, I am thanking God for my stretch marks, for sin's tattoo has now become a symbol of spiritual growth.

4 comments:

DownsizingDeeva said...

I have a lot of tattoos too. I like your analogy of them.

Skinnyontheinside said...

These tats are different then baby tats. Baby tats are okay, the ones I am speaking of here are not related to my baby weight.

DownsizingDeeva said...

I have some of each!

Skinnyontheinside said...

I think a lot of people do :)