Micah 6:8

"He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does YHVH require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God."

Friday, February 10, 2012

Shabbat Prep Day

As a young girl growing up I remember fondly the smells of the holidays.  I remember the house smelling so good for hours on end. My mom would wake early, as she always did, and she would begin cooking for the day. I would wait all day in anticipation of the amazing meal that would be served at diner that night. There were always leftovers that would be used for sandwiches the next day. Mom didn't really cook the day after a holiday. I suppose, because she had been cooking for hours on end the previous day. Now that my own family no longer celebrates those holidays you would think that I would miss the traditions and food of those special family times. Joyfully, I can tell you that I do not miss it at all. In fact what we now have is so much more meaningful.  I get to relive smells and food that I loved growing up, every single week. On preparation day, my home is alive with scents and smells that I have held dear for years. As I prepare on Friday for Erev Shabbat and Shabbat I am blessed by the smells all around me.

Challah and Cinnamon Buns

My home smells divine and I know that for the next 24hrs I will not be preparing food for myself or my family. I love that God has blessed us with a day to refrain from work and to rest in Him. It is a blessing to be so busy on Friday, and in that busyness anticipation of what is to come grows. Every Friday at sunset as my family and I gather around the table and welcome the Sabbath we are reminded that God too rested from His work on the seventh day. May you be blessed as you rest in Him.

No comments: